Quality of Life
Iowa is one of the best states in the nation to live, and quality of life in the Mid-Iowa region is second to none. The region’s affordable, safe communities also feature vibrant economies and exciting opportunities for dining, shopping, arts, and outdoor recreation.
- Iowa is ranked the nation’s 2nd-most livable state based on 43 factors ranging from median household income to crime rate and from sunny days to infant mortality rate.
- Iowa ranks 9th in the nation for number of state parks, recreational areas and natural areas.
- Iowa ranks 10th in safest neighborhoods in the U.S.
- Iowa has the 3rd-highest public high school graduation rate in the U.S.
- Four Mid-Iowa counties rank in the top 20 for Best Counties in Iowa for Retirees, with Wright County ranking #3.
- Wright County ranks #15 for Best Counties in Iowa for Families.
- Palo Alto County ranks #12 for Best Counties in Iowa for Young Professionals.
Learn more about Mid-Iowa’s:
Childcare & Schools